New car owners in Bellflower are all to often surprised when they discover their new vehicle uses Synthetic oil. Additionally, they discover a synthetic oil change is about twice the cost of the standard oil change. So when did this new expensive upgrade happen and will it really benefit me and my vehicle?
It all started in around 2019 when about 70% of all newer vehicles started to recommend using synthetic oil or a synthetic blend oil for their engines. We’ll get into synthetic blends in a later article, for now lets stick with synthetic oil. Synthetic oils are generally the better choice for performance and the longevity of your vehicle. This is based on the fact that synthetic oil protects your engine due to lower levels of friction which tend to protect your engine better at extreme high and low tempters. Moreover, synthetic oils don’t break down as quickly as standard oils meaning you can go further distances in between oil changes that helps to save money in the down the road.
So lets take a look at what synthetic oil is. Synthetic oil is artificially made from a variety of chemical compounds. They are then broken down and then rebuilt into new petroleum molecules. However, The base material, is still primarily crude oil that is distilled and then modified physically and chemically. There are multiple types of synthetics with distinctly different properties and applications that vary based on the ultimate standards of your vehicle.
Here are a few benefits of using Synthetic Oil:
- Synthetics have a naturally higher viscosity index. Meaning, the viscosity changes less as temperature changes during normal engine startup and operating conditions as a result of being a more stable compound than standard oil.
- Synthetic engine oils are generally less volatile than standard oils. This means there is less loss of the oil to the engine’s exhaust stream causing air pollution. This could also mean less need for adding oil between oil changes.
- At extremely low temperatures, it is possible for mineral oils to become so thick (high viscosity) that the oil is non-pumpable making it unable to circulate effectively within the engine.
- Synthetic oil has a longer lifespan than conventional oil. The recommended change interval for synthetic oil is around every 5,000 to 7,000 miles or 6 to 8 months, with some brands lasting much longer (15,000 to 25,000).
- Getting a longer engine life in most vehicles. Many Bellflower drivers have never owned a vehicle that lasted long enough to hit the 200,000 miles mark on their engine. But, with so many new vehicles using synthetic oils these days we will soon see more drivers every year achieving that goal.
In conclusion, for many vehicles, synthetic oils could be a better choice for overall engine operation, performance and longevity. Unless the biggest factor in making your selection of lubrication is solely based on cost. If you like the idea of fewer oil changes, upgrading to synthetic oil is the wisest choice, call Orozco’s Auto Service of Bellflower today at 562-920-1871. Keep your vehicle in good condition and ensure the safety of yourself, your loved ones, and those around you!
Orozco’s Auto Service Bellflower – Los Angeles County CA
9665 Alondra Blvd. Bellflower, CA 90706, USA
Call Today: 562-920-1871 – Auto/Fleet/Diesel Service Repair